ITIL and Control Desk – effective management of IT services
The dynamism of changes occurring in IT environments requires the use of tools enabling their management at the highest level. Effective action in these areas undoubtedly involves the application of ITIL standards.
ITIL – best practices for the IT industry
ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is an integrated set of principles, based on processes
and best practices, for effective management of IT services. ITIL does not prescribe the details of an ITSM system implementation, but it does offer a set of guidelines that will improve
and increase its efficiency.
Why use ITIL?
Pierwsze założenia ITIL powstawały jeszcze w latach 90 ubiegłego wieku. Na przestrzeni lat, proces
The first principles of ITIL were developed back in the 1990s. Over the years, the process of improvement and quality management has led to the development of successive versions, responding to ever more recent requirements. The current set of best practices is known as ITIL IV. The latest version addresses the issues of the agile approach and its effectiveness has been confirmed by a number of customers.
HOW ITIL WORKS – BASIC CONCEPTS
- Incident resolution – the term incident refers to services related to the rectification of a single failure that has occurred for the first time. Incidents are not always resolved. Resolving an incident involves acting quickly and efficiently in the here and now;
- Problem resolution – we talk about problems when incidents start to recur. Problem management is a thorough search for the causes of incidents;
- Service management – service management is a term for IT issues that are not caused by a failure or error but by current needs, e.g. preparing a position for a new employee (accesses, permissions, passwords, etc.);
- SLA management – in this case, ITIL practices make it possible to control the level of service provision, as intended by the partnership agreements. The guarantee of a high level of service also applies to emergency response plans;
- Resource management – detailed monitoring of the status of available devices, systems, applications and their management in financial terms (inventory, costs, depreciation);
- Configuration management – these are actions vital for administrators to maintain IT systems
- in the best possible condition. High-level configuration management streamlines the relationship between devices in the system and their software;
- Change management – change management is the process of implementing a specific change, such as a solution to an identified problem. Change management is the process of implementing a specific change, such as a solution to an identified problem;
- Release management – this concerns the effective implementation of specific functionalities especially in the production phase;
- Version management – these are guidelines for developing and implementing the latest versions of software, so that the whole process runs smoothly and without any problems.
IBM Control Desk – unified approach to IT management
Pink Elephant has certified a solution proposed by IBM – Control Desk, which Opsenio is effectively implementing. IBM Control Desk offers a unified approach to IT service management, combining process and functional aspects with an increasingly powerful physical infrastructure. Everything
complies with ITIL best practices.
WHAT AREAS ARE SUPPORTED BY THE IBM CONTROL DESK
- Self-service centre – The self-service centre is an intuitive user application that provides continuous access to issues related to: reporting, ordering services, tracking order history and solutions described in the Knowledge Base;
- Service catalogue – one of the functional modules of IBM Control Desk. It allows the end user to order services directly from a catalogue dedicated to them. The catalogue of services is presented in the form of an online shop;
- Service level management – IBM Control Desk allows you to verify and control the level of service delivery, including response times and handling requests, restoring service availability, implementing changes, etc.;
- Change management – This functionality of the system provides the possibility to define the process of change management, taking into account: its type, required acceptances, defining the sequence of steps, impact analysis. In addition, you can use the option of sharing a calendar of changes;
- Resource management – a complete module for managing IT resources (computers, mobile devices, applications, software, licences, etc.). With IBM Control Desk, you can quickly prioritise and efficiently resolve incidents/problems as well as manage the entire hardware and software lifecycle;
- Configuration management – IBM Control Desk allows you to integrate all elements of the IT system which helps to anticipate the effects of changes, provides access to up-to-date data needed by administrators, shares distributed data, automates work, etc.;
- Incident management and Service Desk– Enables effective service recovery after a failure and reduces the costs of service requests and downtime. Easy report generation and the ability to configure your own KPIs are further advantages;
- Request handling– provides effective support for internal and external customers. It enables the documentation of incidents from end users, technical staff and applications that monitor the performance of the IT environment;
- Request execution – this functionality allows system users to efficiently request standard IT services (access to applications, procedures, Service Catalogue);
- Problem management – the Problems functional module is responsible for efficiently finding the cause of recurring incidents and determining how to restore full performance of IT services;
- Central Knowledge Base – very strong factual support with a database of solutions to common problems. Available to all users;
- Detection of IT infrastructure – this module enables, among other things: automatic detection and building of an application map, which provides strong support for administrators in the processes of maintaining a smoothly operating IT system structure.
IBM Control Desk with Opsenio
Professional support Opsenio – our experience guarantees:
- optimal implementation time – your company can reap the benefits of IBM Control Desk faster,
- transparent conditions of cooperation – the client knows exactly what tasks will be performed as part of the service and what the specific milestones of the project will be,
- ongoing technical support – not only during the project implementation phase, but also during the subsequent operation of the system,
- knowledge supported by experience – which allows us to eliminate many problems that may occur during the implementation phase.
Do you want to know the details? Contact us!
Opsenio sp. z o. o.
ul. Parkowa 11